Cameron Corner provided an interesting destination for a morning excursion from Fort Grey. After 32 km of corrugated, but otherwise reasonable, unsealed road we drove out of NSW, opening and shutting the gate carefully, travelled perhaps 100 metres through SA then did a right hand turn into Queensland. This meeting place of 3 states is named for John Cameron, a surveyor for the NSW Lands Department, who led the first survey party along the NSW- Qld border between 1879 & 1881. On his arrival at “the Corner” in September 1880 (twelve months after starting in the NSW border town of Barringun) he erected a wooden boundary post with the inscription “Lat 29”(latitude 29 degrees) and “Cameron”. There is a “Corner Store” which has some very basic supplies including fuel, gas and alcoholic beverages but their real draw-card is the golf course where you can play Tri State Golf.
The approach to one of the “browns” – no watering to do here Gouldiae!
The other main attraction here is the Dingo Fence –it is the longest fence in the world stretching 5,614 kilometres with quite a long history.
State governments built fences in the 1880s to try and control the rabbit plague but the fences fell into disrepair as rabbits continued to proliferate. In 1914 the fences were repaired to try and keep dingoes out of sheep grazing country and in the 1940s they were joined into one continuous structure. Queensland authorities constructed and maintained the fence until 1919, however it is now maintained by the Wild Dog Destruction Board which employs boundary riders for each 60 km of fence. According to information on the sign at Cameron Corner, funding is provided by NSW government grants and by levies on graziers.
This is the view across the gibber on the Cameron Corner road, it is not at all easy to walk across but we did traverse a small area and certainly looked at many similar landscapes in a vain hope to see a Gibber bird. We have been lucky with many wonderful bird sightings but not that one …… yet.